Funeral for teen who died holding breath
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- A 17-year-old who drowned in a Long Island community pool while training to apply for the elite Navy SEALS was buried Friday.
Suffolk police say Marc Dawson, of Greenlawn, never recovered after passing out under water on February 18 as he practiced holding his breath in a Huntington YMCA pool. He died Monday, at Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
Dawson's family had told police that The Harborfields High School senior was set to ship out in September and had hoped to qualify to train as a Navy SEAL.
Dawson's funeral Mass was held Friday at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Roman Catholic church in Centerport, with burial at St. Charles Cemetery in Farmingdale. The teenager is survived by his parents and four brothers.
- At least 2 dead, 55 hurt in East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Some Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 11 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination