A new Hope Lodge opens in New York
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Undergoing treatment for cancer is a lot to handle. Add to that being in a city you don't know, and may not be able to afford.
A new facility opens Wednesday that will make the process easier for cancer patients.
Eyewitness News reporter Lauren Glassberg takes us inside.
It may look like a fancy midtown hotel but it's reserved for adult getting cancer treatments.
"I love to eat that's my second favorite thing to my wife Gabi," said Brad Fedor.
Brad and Gabi Fedor are newlyweds, married just four months. And they've spent all of that time here at the Hope Lodge.
There are 60 rooms in all plus quiet areas, sitting rooms and kitchens. The building is located on West 32nd Street.
The American Cancer Society has 26 other Lodges across the country-- but this is the first in New York.
It's open only to adults undergoing outpatient cancer treatment in New York City. And it's entirely free to stay here.
"There are so many stresses that cancer patients has to go through financially, emotionally and physically," said Karen Radwin Hope Lodge. "And the financial piece is extraordinary."
Patients travel from all over. The Fedors came from Boca Raton.
So that Brad could be treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Not having to pay for a place to stay has been a huge relief.
But what's more -- the Lodge lends emotional support.
When the word spread that Gabi and Brad were in essence honeymooning at the Hope Lodge, the Lodge threw them a wedding party.
"The people who were here said it was the most beautiful reception they have ever been to," said Brad. "It was fantastic. It really was."
Gabi even saved a slice of their party cake to eat on their one year anniversary - something to look forward to and another reason to have hope.
"The support of the American Cancer Society, Hope Lodge and Memorial Sloan& I mean there were so much help," said Brad. "And as long as we keep reaching out, we didn't have to do it alone."
The facility was built and depends on private and corporate donations. And patients who stay there are referred to Hope Lodge by the center they're treated at.
Lengths of stay vary from as little as four days to many months.
You can find out more about any of American Cancer Society Hope Lodges, visit online at www.cancer.org/hopelodge.
For information on Hope Lodge New York City (including volunteer opportunities, donations, etc.), individuals can call 212-237-3865.
For cancer information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week call at 1-800-ACS-2345 or visiti website www.cancer.org
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 11 hurt 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 20 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos