Widower loses, gets back wife's voicemail
IRVINGTON (WABC) -- A telephone upgrade caused some heartache for a man from Westchester County.
After his wife died, the 80-year-old would listen to his phone message every day, just so he could hear her voice.
But when Verizon upgraded his service, the phone message, and his wife's voice, were lost.
Eyewitness News reporter Marcus Solis has the story.
Charles Whiting has been a widower for more than two years, but nearly every day, the 80-year-old Irvington resident could hear his late wife's voice on voice mail.
"Her voice would come on, and I would put in a code, and then I would get my messages," he said.
Catherine Whiting died of cancer in 2005. Years ago, she recorded her name on the Verizon voice mailbox the couple used instead of an answering machine. Recently, Verizon upgraded service in the area. Then, last month, to Charles' dismay, his wife's greeting was gone.
"We could've changed it, I suppose, at any time," he said. "But I kind of liked it, to hear her voice."
Whiting acknowledges getting a notice from Verizon about the upgrade, but he was hospitalized for a short time and had forgotten all about it. Then, one day, the system prompted him to re-record his name.
Whiting says when he called to complain, he got nowhere.
"It used to be much easier, when you could get a person when you phoned up Verizon or anybody," he said.
On Monday, Eyewitness News informed him that Verizon had enlisted a New Hampshire-based recording company to make a copy of the greeting, which it has retrieved. The company will even restore Catherine's message.
"I appreciate that and thank them very much," Whiting said. "But I just don't think it should've been this much trouble to get to that point."
It is one small way to remember a 43-year love affair.
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 1 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 19 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 8 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 48 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
1 min ago