Pregnant mom arrested on Long Island
NEW CASSEL (WABC) -- A 42-year-old pregnant mother is under arrest on Long Island. Officers were called to a home on Broadway in New Cassel Monday. That's where they say they found partially-clothed twin toddlers walking around on a feces-covered floor with broken glass around them.
Eyewitness News reporter Jamie Roth has the latest.
A judge from Nassau County's District Court set bail for Anna Mendoza Tuesday morning, and also assigned temporary custody of her twin daughters to their maternal aunt.
When police arrived to the home, they reportedly smelled alcohol on the 42-year-old Mendoza's breath. Upon further investigation, police say she admitted to them that she consumed eight beers, despite being two months pregnant.
Police then took a further look around her home and noticed that her twin daughters, only 2 years old, were partially clothed and walking around a home that had human waste on the floor, along with shards of glass.
They arrested Mendoza and took her into custody on charges of endangering the welfare of her children.
"They did the right thing, especially after what happened here a month ago," a New Cassel resident said.
What happened a month ago was that that three children were found drowned, allegedly by their mother, 27-year-old Leatrice Brewer.
Outside the court house, the twins' aunt paused to tell reporters her sister is a good mother and a hard worker.
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 22 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
32 min ago