LI mother will use insanity defense
MINIEOLA -- A court filing shows that a Long Island woman accused of drowning her three children in a bathtub is expected to use an insanity defense at her trial.
The legal document was filed in Nassau County Court by the woman's attorney, Michelle Armstrong.
Police say Leatrice Brewer drowned her children then laid them in a row on her bed in their pajamas before calling 911 and confessing to the killings. The children were 5, 6 and 18 months old.
The 27-year-old New Cassel woman is charged with one count of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder.
Nassau County district attorney spokesman Eric Phillips says his office will seek permission to have Brewer evaluated by a psychologist.
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act