LI mother will use insanity defense
MINIEOLA -- A court filing shows that a Long Island woman accused of drowning her three children in a bathtub is expected to use an insanity defense at her trial.
The legal document was filed in Nassau County Court by the woman's attorney, Michelle Armstrong.
Police say Leatrice Brewer drowned her children then laid them in a row on her bed in their pajamas before calling 911 and confessing to the killings. The children were 5, 6 and 18 months old.
The 27-year-old New Cassel woman is charged with one count of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder.
Nassau County district attorney spokesman Eric Phillips says his office will seek permission to have Brewer evaluated by a psychologist.
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 4 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos