LI mother will use insanity defense
MINIEOLA -- A court filing shows that a Long Island woman accused of drowning her three children in a bathtub is expected to use an insanity defense at her trial.
The legal document was filed in Nassau County Court by the woman's attorney, Michelle Armstrong.
Police say Leatrice Brewer drowned her children then laid them in a row on her bed in their pajamas before calling 911 and confessing to the killings. The children were 5, 6 and 18 months old.
The 27-year-old New Cassel woman is charged with one count of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder.
Nassau County district attorney spokesman Eric Phillips says his office will seek permission to have Brewer evaluated by a psychologist.
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 15 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
31 min ago