Bear spotted in New Jersey
MILLBURN, N.J. - (WABC) -- A bear wandered out of the South Mountain Reservation and into Millburn Wednesday morning.
Police chased the bear up a tree at the intersection of Wyoming Avenue and Cedar Street.
Animal officials then shot it with a tranquilizer and called state wildlife officials. The 133-pound black bear was wedged between three branches way up in a white oak tree. At times, he seemed bored by all the activity on the ground as crews set up a net for the bruin's 40-foot plunge.
After he fell, the bear was checked, his paws measured, his teeth examined and his eyes flushed to keep them moist. Officials say every step was taken to ensure his safety.
The animal was first spotted around 9:30 a.m.
Officials at a nearby elementary school and day care were advised to keep children inside.
Police suspect animal is the same bear spotted on Monday in West Orange.
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 27 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- US deploys 600 troops to Ukraine border nations
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 24 min ago
- Jet stowaway spent hours undetected before flight
- NYC among 15 cities being considered for 2016 DNC 44 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos