Snake found in baby's crib
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. - (WABC) -- A mother found coiled on her 7-month-old daughter's leg as the baby slept in a crib.
Cari Abatemarco, 32, of upstate Troy says she was visiting family in Brentwood last week when her baby's cries woke her one night.
She told Newsday that she found a snake wrapped around her 7-month-old daughter's leg.
Abatemarco said she lifted her daughter and the snake fell off.
A relative removed the snake from the crib and placed it in a bucket until animal control officers arrived. A Long Island animal shelter is a temporary home for the snake.
A relative told Eyewitness News that the snake was close to four feet long.
The reptile has been identified as a California king, a non-venomous snake that's not indigenous to the region.
Abatemarco says her family doesn't keep snakes as pets.
Officials suspect the snake might have been inside the mattress or bedding purchased for the crib.
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 34 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son