Snake found in baby's crib
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. - (WABC) -- A mother found coiled on her 7-month-old daughter's leg as the baby slept in a crib.
Cari Abatemarco, 32, of upstate Troy says she was visiting family in Brentwood last week when her baby's cries woke her one night.
She told Newsday that she found a snake wrapped around her 7-month-old daughter's leg.
Abatemarco said she lifted her daughter and the snake fell off.
A relative removed the snake from the crib and placed it in a bucket until animal control officers arrived. A Long Island animal shelter is a temporary home for the snake.
A relative told Eyewitness News that the snake was close to four feet long.
The reptile has been identified as a California king, a non-venomous snake that's not indigenous to the region.
Abatemarco says her family doesn't keep snakes as pets.
Officials suspect the snake might have been inside the mattress or bedding purchased for the crib.
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Records: Man in movie theater shooting also was texting 27 min ago
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in Australia court 36 min ago
- NH woman finds lost cat in pet store 4 years later 12 min ago
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday 9 min ago