Raging fire in Hoboken kills 1
HOBOKEN (WABC) -- A four-alarm fire that tore through a large apartment building in Hoboken claimed the life of an elderly woman.
Eyewitness News is told the 83-year-old woman was trapped in her third floor apartment when fire broke out on Hudson Street just before 3:45 a.m. this morning.
She was apparently unable to escape and was discovered dead in her apartment.
The fire reportedly broke out on the fifth floor of the large apartment building and spread to the fourth floor. Heavy flames shot out windows.
Dozens of families were evacuated from the building, and watched in pajamas from the street. They were being helped by the Red Cross. None were injured.
Fire officials believe the fire may have been fed by gas in the building.
WEB PRODUCED BY:Lakisha Bostick
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos