Police standoff ends in the Bronx
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS -- A man suspected of stabbing his girlfriend multiple times kept police at bay for more than 13 hours as he clinged to a Bronx apartment building.
The 49-year-old man is accused of stabbing a 49-year-old Carmen Velez multiple times inside 2467 University Avenue at around 12:20 a.m. this morning.
Velez, who is the suspect's girlfriend, was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital.
She was in very critical condition in intensive care following surgery.
After the alleged stabbing, the suspect climbed out a third-story window and stood on the ledge as he clung to the side of the building.
Police arrived and negotiated with the man for more than 13 hours before he was safely taken into custody.
They set up two airbags to help break the suspect's fall if he plunged to the ground.
Local streets were also closed as authorities tried to talk the man down.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Lakisha Bostick & Scott Curkin
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 16 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
4 min ago