Police standoff ends in the Bronx
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS -- A man suspected of stabbing his girlfriend multiple times kept police at bay for more than 13 hours as he clinged to a Bronx apartment building.
The 49-year-old man is accused of stabbing a 49-year-old Carmen Velez multiple times inside 2467 University Avenue at around 12:20 a.m. this morning.
Velez, who is the suspect's girlfriend, was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital.
She was in very critical condition in intensive care following surgery.
After the alleged stabbing, the suspect climbed out a third-story window and stood on the ledge as he clung to the side of the building.
Police arrived and negotiated with the man for more than 13 hours before he was safely taken into custody.
They set up two airbags to help break the suspect's fall if he plunged to the ground.
Local streets were also closed as authorities tried to talk the man down.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Lakisha Bostick & Scott Curkin
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 27 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro-North: train outage expected for days 37 min ago
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported 22 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police 41 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2 14 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Graduation takes somber tone at Hofstra...
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
27 min ago
- Investigators continue to examine Metro...
37 min ago