14-year-old fatally struck by school bus
ELMHURST (WABC) -- A 14-year-old girl was struck and killed by a school bus as she crossed the street in the Elmhurst section of Queens.
A 14-year-old girl was struck and killed by a mini bus as she crossed the street in the Elmhurst section of Queens.
Jasmin Paragas was walking to school when she was hit at the intersection of 57th Avenue and 90th Street, near the Queens Center Mall, at around 8:10 a.m.
Paragas was pronounced dead soon after at Elmhurst Hospital.
The driver of the mini bus, registered to the JEA Bus Company of Brooklyn, stopped at the scene.
The driver, George Severino, was not charged in connection with her death. But Severino was issued a summons for failure to yield to pedestrian. And his bus was issued two equipment violations, for a headlight that was out and for falling tires.
Four adults who were passengers on the minibus were not injured in the crash.
The girl was a freshman at Francis Lewis High School. A crisis team was going to respond to the school to help students.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Ilene Rosen and Mark Crudele
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma