Learning to walk correctly
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- It's something we do everyday, and many of us don't even think about it - walking. But as it turns out, many people do it incorrectly, and that can take a serious toll on your body.
Paula Weinberg is always on her feet. Lately, she's been selling mops for a living, and all that standing and walking takes a toll.
"I started realizing my knee hurt," she said.
So she signed up for a walking class and found out she didn't know how to walk.
In fact, instructor Jonathan Fitzgordon says most of us walk incorrectly.
So in classes and private lessons, he teaches men and women about the core, the spine, posture and how to walk right.
The problem, he says, starts early on. If parents walk poorly, chances are so will their kids. Injuries also take a toll. And then there's pavement and shoes, heels in particular, all things that force our bodies to compensate in some unnatural way. But can you really change your walk?
"The longer you have a pattern, the more difficult it is to change a pattern," he said. "but everyone can change."
That's why Sharon Frost is taking the class.
"I'm 64," she said. "It's about time I started...I don't want to feel like this."
And Paula says walking is now a joy.
"I do notice a difference," she said. "I'm not have as much back pain."
And that means Jonathan is on his way to meeting his goal.
"I would like to see Americans walk better," he said. "Everybody walk better."
For more on the walking class and the method, visit FitzgordonMethod.com.
New sessions of classes start every two weeks at the Yoga Center of Brooklyn, located at 474 Smith Street. It is $300 for the six-session class.
Students are asked to register in advance, as space is limited.
You can call 917-282-7627 or e-mail Info@FitzgordonMethod.com for more information.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King --------
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
local news, lauren glassberg
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 35 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 42 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
35 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos