Long Island gay center vandalized
BAY SHORE (WABC) -- Suffolk County police are investigating as a hate crime vandalism at a Long Island gay and lesbian youth center.
Chief Executive Officer David Kilmnick of the Long Island Gay and Lesbian Youth Center says the center's front door was broken, and its van's windows were smashed, tires slashed and the side mirrors were mangled.
Kilmnick says the damage was discovered Monday. He called the vandalism "a message of fear," but vowed that "hate can't remain in the closet."
The hamlet of Bay Shore is 43 miles east of New York City.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Newtown 911 calls released 47 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 41 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 15 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 53 min ago
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease 4 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
41 min ago