Mayor reveals source of syrup smell
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New Jersey factory that makes fenugreek seeds was the source of the mystery syrupy smell that wafted from time to time over New York City.
"Given the evidence, I think it's safe to say that the Great Maple Syrup Mystery has finally been solved," said Mayor Bloomberg. "I want to thank the City's environmental protection and emergency workers, as well as their colleagues in the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, for their diligence in finding the source of the smell, which was a lot like finding a needle in a haystack. Air samples taken by DEP have confirmed that the odor in New York City was an ester associated with fenugreek seed processing. The Health Department confirmed that the odor does not pose a health risk, but I am pleased to know that our OEM and DEP smelling sleuths got to the bottom of this mystery." The International Frutarom Corporation factory in North Bergen was tracked down to be the source.
The city Department of Environmental Protection dispatched a team of inspectors earlier this month after the city's 311 system was deluged with calls from New Yorkers reporting the mysterious scent drifting through parts of upper Manhattan and Queens.
In 2005, hundreds of people in New York and across the river in New Jersey reported the strangely seductive odor.
At the time, Bloomberg said a slew of agencies - the NYPD, the Office of Emergency Management and the Health Department - investigated the scent and found nothing toxic or links to terrorism.
Web Produced By: Scott Curkin
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 16 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos