Mayor reveals source of syrup smell
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New Jersey factory that makes fenugreek seeds was the source of the mystery syrupy smell that wafted from time to time over New York City.
"Given the evidence, I think it's safe to say that the Great Maple Syrup Mystery has finally been solved," said Mayor Bloomberg. "I want to thank the City's environmental protection and emergency workers, as well as their colleagues in the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, for their diligence in finding the source of the smell, which was a lot like finding a needle in a haystack. Air samples taken by DEP have confirmed that the odor in New York City was an ester associated with fenugreek seed processing. The Health Department confirmed that the odor does not pose a health risk, but I am pleased to know that our OEM and DEP smelling sleuths got to the bottom of this mystery." The International Frutarom Corporation factory in North Bergen was tracked down to be the source.
The city Department of Environmental Protection dispatched a team of inspectors earlier this month after the city's 311 system was deluged with calls from New Yorkers reporting the mysterious scent drifting through parts of upper Manhattan and Queens.
In 2005, hundreds of people in New York and across the river in New Jersey reported the strangely seductive odor.
At the time, Bloomberg said a slew of agencies - the NYPD, the Office of Emergency Management and the Health Department - investigated the scent and found nothing toxic or links to terrorism.
Web Produced By: Scott Curkin
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 8 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos