New Jersey man gets to see his son
BRASILIA, Brazil -- A New Jersey man saw his 8-year-old son in Brazil on Monday for the first time in 4 1/2 years, shooting baskets and splashing in a pool with him, according to a congressman who is trying to help reunite them permanently.
U.S. Rep. Christopher Smith described the reunion between David Goldman and his son, Sean, in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from Rio de Janiero. Smith said he attended the reunion for security reasons.
Smith, R-N.J., is trying to help Goldman, of Tinton Falls, win custody.
A court ruled last week that Goldman could visit. Smith characterized the ruling as a possible first step toward gaining custody.
The boy was taken to Brazil by his mother when he was 4. She remarried and died last year after giving birth to another child.
Goldman has said he was denied visitation for years.
Last week, Smith increased political pressure and began meeting with Brazilian officials to warn them that they were violating the Hague Convention, an international adoption treaty, by not allowing Goldman to have custody of his son.
Smith said Goldman and his son were scheduled to spend time together again on Tuesday and that another court hearing in the case could come as soon as Wednesday.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 11 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 29 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 18 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 58 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
11 min ago