Mangione musicians die in plane crash
NEW YORK -- A publicist says two members of jazz musician Chuck Mangione's band were among those killed on the plane that crashed into a Buffalo, New York, house.
Publicist Sanford Brokaw identified the band members as Gerry Niewood, 64, of Rochester, N.Y., and Coleman Mellett of Maryland.
Niewood played saxophone and flute and Mellett was a guitarist.
In a statement Mangione said: "I'm in shock over the horrible, heartbreaking tragedy of the crash of Flight 3407, which took the lives of my dear friends and band members. I am grieving and praying with their families and friends."
Mangione and his band were scheduled to perform Friday with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra at Kleinhans Music Hall. The concert has been postponed.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident 7 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane 47 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 45 min ago
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos