Imus announces he has prostate cancer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Don Imus announced on his radio show Monday morning that he has stage II prostate cancer.
The 68-year-old Imus made the surprise announcement on his radio show at around 7:30 a.m.
[GET EYEWITNESS NEWS DELIVERED: Click here to sign up]
He told his listeners he has full faith "his doctors will beat it."
He did not say when he was starting treatment.
To learn more about prostate cancer, go to http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/CRI_2x.asp?sitearea=&dt=36.
"The day you find out is fine," he said. "But the next morning when you get up, your knees are shaking. I didn't think I could make it to work."
Wearing black sunglasses and slumped behind his microphone, Imus speculated that the cancer may have come from stress.
Imus works now for the ABC Radio Networks and rural RFD-TV after being fired by CBS Radio and MSNBC in spring 2007 for referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 42 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 29 min ago