Imus announces he has prostate cancer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Don Imus announced on his radio show Monday morning that he has stage II prostate cancer.
The 68-year-old Imus made the surprise announcement on his radio show at around 7:30 a.m.
[GET EYEWITNESS NEWS DELIVERED: Click here to sign up]
He told his listeners he has full faith "his doctors will beat it."
He did not say when he was starting treatment.
To learn more about prostate cancer, go to http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/CRI_2x.asp?sitearea=&dt=36.
"The day you find out is fine," he said. "But the next morning when you get up, your knees are shaking. I didn't think I could make it to work."
Wearing black sunglasses and slumped behind his microphone, Imus speculated that the cancer may have come from stress.
Imus works now for the ABC Radio Networks and rural RFD-TV after being fired by CBS Radio and MSNBC in spring 2007 for referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013