Imus announces he has prostate cancer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Don Imus announced on his radio show Monday morning that he has stage II prostate cancer.
The 68-year-old Imus made the surprise announcement on his radio show at around 7:30 a.m.
[GET EYEWITNESS NEWS DELIVERED: Click here to sign up]
He told his listeners he has full faith "his doctors will beat it."
He did not say when he was starting treatment.
To learn more about prostate cancer, go to http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/CRI_2x.asp?sitearea=&dt=36.
"The day you find out is fine," he said. "But the next morning when you get up, your knees are shaking. I didn't think I could make it to work."
Wearing black sunglasses and slumped behind his microphone, Imus speculated that the cancer may have come from stress.
Imus works now for the ABC Radio Networks and rural RFD-TV after being fired by CBS Radio and MSNBC in spring 2007 for referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 15 min ago
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
49 min ago