Woman fatally struck in hit and run
WOODHAVEN (WABC) -- A grieving family in Queens is asking for the driver behind a deadly hit and run to come forward. An elderly woman was killed while collecting bottles and cans Monday night.
The incident happened at the intersection of Jamaica Avenue and 98th Street at around 10:24 p.m.
Friends say collecting recyclables is something 71-year-old Virginia Montalvo had done countless times before. In fact, she was killed just two blocks from her home.
An electronic police message board on Jamaica Avenue was the only visible reminder of the deadly accident.
Grieving relatives rushed to the scene where Montalvo was killed.
Her son, Estaban Montalvo, said collecting bootles and cans was a hobby she'd taken up to relieve boredom.
"Me and my sisters would advise her not to go out, especially in this area at night or overnight, because it's dangerous," Estaban said through a translator.
But Montalvo found the busy section of Jamaica Avenue fertile hunting ground. The bottles and cans she'd gathered littered the crime scene as police collected evidence to help find her killer.
"They're low lifes," neighbor David Limones said. "To hit somebody and just run off, that's not right. Just have the dececency to stay around and see if they're all right."
Detectives are going through the neighborhood, posting fliers and asking for help. They are trying to find the driver responsible.
According to witnesses, the vehicle fled eastbound on Jamaica Avenue.
The description of the vehicle is very vague, but police say they're looking for a dark-colored cargo van.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Lakisha Bostick
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
local news, sandra bookman
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
55 min ago