Woman fatally struck in hit and run
WOODHAVEN (WABC) -- A grieving family in Queens is asking for the driver behind a deadly hit and run to come forward. An elderly woman was killed while collecting bottles and cans Monday night.
The incident happened at the intersection of Jamaica Avenue and 98th Street at around 10:24 p.m.
Friends say collecting recyclables is something 71-year-old Virginia Montalvo had done countless times before. In fact, she was killed just two blocks from her home.
An electronic police message board on Jamaica Avenue was the only visible reminder of the deadly accident.
Grieving relatives rushed to the scene where Montalvo was killed.
Her son, Estaban Montalvo, said collecting bootles and cans was a hobby she'd taken up to relieve boredom.
"Me and my sisters would advise her not to go out, especially in this area at night or overnight, because it's dangerous," Estaban said through a translator.
But Montalvo found the busy section of Jamaica Avenue fertile hunting ground. The bottles and cans she'd gathered littered the crime scene as police collected evidence to help find her killer.
"They're low lifes," neighbor David Limones said. "To hit somebody and just run off, that's not right. Just have the dececency to stay around and see if they're all right."
Detectives are going through the neighborhood, posting fliers and asking for help. They are trying to find the driver responsible.
According to witnesses, the vehicle fled eastbound on Jamaica Avenue.
The description of the vehicle is very vague, but police say they're looking for a dark-colored cargo van.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Lakisha Bostick
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
local news, sandra bookman
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bethpage Air Show on for Sunday
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos