Recession Web site for the unemployed
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Unemployment in this country is at a quarter-century high, so it's no surprise that talented, well-educated people are among those without jobs - like three local women who recently got pink slips.
Now, they're trying to make the best out of their difficult situations and have developed a Web site to help others cope during the recession.
The three women, Lynn Parramore, Sara Clemence and Laura Rich, all found themselves out of work at the same time.
"All three of us experienced a really rocky week in November," Parramore said.
And when they took stock, they realized they were hardly alone. So they joined forces and launched RecessionWire.com. The tag line is "the upside of the downturn."
What they found out is people are eager to not just read about others in the same situation, but to also share their own stories, some of which are positive.
In the Lemonade Makers section, readers will find stories about people who've repositioned themselves to make money even in this down time.
Recession Concessions is a discussion about what people will do "without" when money is tight.
The At the End of Your Robe section offers tips on making the most of the clothes people already own.
The subject matter, unfortunately, seems endless.
"We decided, as writers, we really wanted to be part of the conversation and document things happening, and weigh in," Parramore said.
Their readership is in the tens of thousands. And while they're not making big bucks yet, they're doing what they love, and they know there's a need.
They say one of the biggest surprises is how many people have e-mailed them to say thank you, and that they say feels really good.
Web produced by: Maura Sweeney
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
local news, lauren glassberg
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado 21 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Elderly man falls in Hudson off of Pier 84
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Muggy
42 min ago