Young girl excited about possible marrow match
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Two possible bone-marrow donors have been found for a 6-year-old leukemia-stricken New York City girl.
For the last three and a half months Jasmina and her mother lived in a hospital room on the children's floor of NYU Langone medical center.
Jasmina's mother sometimes sleeps on an uncomfortable chair or curls up with her daughter on a small hospital bed.
Six-year-old Jasmina has a rare and aggressive form of leukemia.
To cure it, she needs a bone marrow transplant.
It's been a long wait and that wait may be over.
"When I told her that there was a donor that she would have a transplant the first thing out of her mouth was oh soon I get to go home," said Thea Anema. She adds, "She tells me she wants to catch butterflies smell the flowers. Like anything any normal six-year-old should be doing."
Jasmina has two anonymous donor matches, but those matches are 9 out of 10 instead of a perfect 10 out of 10.
Her mother Thea says it'll do if they can't find that perfect match.
That's why she's still frantically working around the clock.
Last weekend, she found Jasmina's biological family through her adoption lawyer and she took the first flight out to see them.
"I was there Saturday with a friend. We brought a whole bunch of kits. We swabbed everybody," adds Anema.
Those results should come back next week.
Jasmina and her mother want to thank everyone who helped find her a match including celebrities like Kelly Rowland, Rihanna, and the Naked Brothers Band who all stopped by to visit her.
Jasmina can't wait to sled, eat popsicles and chase butterflies with her best friend. her mother says keep registering to donate to make that happen for Jasmina and everyone else who's family needs them home.
Jasmina's transplant is schedule for May 28th. She'll spend another month her at the hospital recovering, then six months at home.
Of course everyone is crossing their fingers that she'll be 100 percent better.
Web Produced By: Scott Curkin
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
local news, carolina leid
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos