Horrific car accident claims 3 lives
MASPETH (WABC) -- Police say the 3 young men inside the car never had a chance.
"He was just a good person -- best person I ever knew," said Jerry Chrisphonte as he remembered his friend.
An entire life ahead of him, Pedro Sanchez was only 26. Police say he was driving the car with Thomas Owens and Eric Saguenette inside. They were both 27 and also from Queens.
Miguel Torres-Castro has known Sanchez since he was 4.
"Big loss for all of us, the world. He was always trying to help people and so curious," Torres-Castro said.
Investigators say the crash happened at 10:30 Thursday night. The car was traveling at an extremely high rate of speed when it skidded and slammed sideways into a pillar at Laurel Hill Road and 58th Street.
Police say at the scene they found an empty bottle of vodka and that one of the passengers was in possession of crack cocaine.
What, if anything, that may have had to do with what happened is not clear.
"I can't even believe that. That is not the Pedro I know. We grew up together and we were never involved with that stuff," Torres-Castro said.
Regarding what was in the car, Jerry Chrisphonte is also shaking his head.
"He was juggling two jobs, taking care of his grandfather and brother and going to school -- only wanted the best for everybody," chrisphonte said.
Police are still investigating.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
local news, michelle charlesworth
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win