NJ man returns from Brazil without his son
NEWARK, N.J. -- A father from New Jersey -- who is embroiled in an international custody battle has suffered another setback.
David Goldman rushed to Rio de Janeiro earlier this week when a federal judge ruled that he should have custody of 9-year-old Sean.
But the Brazilian Supreme Court later said it would review the decision and put off a handover. That court is scheduled to make some kind of ruling Wednesday.
In speaking with Eyewitness News this morning, Goldman said...
"I'm taking this one day at a time. I've been fighting this five years -- June 16th will be five years. It's just my mission, I have to fight to get my son back."
He also acknowledged...
"It was Channel 7 and Jeff Pegues and then people took note," said Goldman.
Meanwhile, a U.S. congressman is pushing to suspend certain trade preferences with Brazil until Goldman's son is returned to him in New Jersey.
New Jersey Republican Chris Smith introduced a bill Thursday that would temporarily remove Brazil from a duty-free trade program. He says Brazil received benefits on $2.75 billion worth of trade last year.
Smith is a champion for David Goldman, whose wife took their son to Brazil in 2004. She died last year and the boy has been living with his Brazilian stepfather.
A federal court in Brazil ruled that Goldman should get custody. But the country's supreme court is planning to review the case next week.
U.S. officials, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama, have said the boy should be returned to his father.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 43 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 44 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 5 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos