NJ man returns from Brazil without his son
NEWARK, N.J. -- A father from New Jersey -- who is embroiled in an international custody battle has suffered another setback.
David Goldman rushed to Rio de Janeiro earlier this week when a federal judge ruled that he should have custody of 9-year-old Sean.
But the Brazilian Supreme Court later said it would review the decision and put off a handover. That court is scheduled to make some kind of ruling Wednesday.
In speaking with Eyewitness News this morning, Goldman said...
"I'm taking this one day at a time. I've been fighting this five years -- June 16th will be five years. It's just my mission, I have to fight to get my son back."
He also acknowledged...
"It was Channel 7 and Jeff Pegues and then people took note," said Goldman.
Meanwhile, a U.S. congressman is pushing to suspend certain trade preferences with Brazil until Goldman's son is returned to him in New Jersey.
New Jersey Republican Chris Smith introduced a bill Thursday that would temporarily remove Brazil from a duty-free trade program. He says Brazil received benefits on $2.75 billion worth of trade last year.
Smith is a champion for David Goldman, whose wife took their son to Brazil in 2004. She died last year and the boy has been living with his Brazilian stepfather.
A federal court in Brazil ruled that Goldman should get custody. But the country's supreme court is planning to review the case next week.
U.S. officials, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama, have said the boy should be returned to his father.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 2 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 28 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos