Mom, child killed by alleged drunk driver
BREWSTER (WABC) -- The greiving father and husband came to the scene of so much heartbreak.
An accused drunk driver killed an 8-year-old girl and her mother on Monday night just minutes after the girl had finished taking a dance class.
The accident happened at the intersection of Route 22 and Route 6 in Brewster.
Lori Donohue had just picked up her daughter, Kayla, at the Seven Stars School of Performing Arts when a Ford F-350 failed to negotiate a left hand turn and barreled into the parking lot.
The vehicle hit the mother and daughter who were walking to their car.
Kayla Donohue was pronounced dead at the scene. Her mother died a short time later at Westchester Medical Center.
Police have charged Zacaria Conces-Garcia with vehicular homicide. The 35-year-old's blood alcohol content was reportedly more than twice the legal limit.
The mangled pick-up was towed away on Tuesday while investigators went to the restaurant where it's believed Garcia had been drinking on Monday afternoon. The illegal immigrant from Guatemala worked as a farmhand, investigators said. Some farmhands congregate on Mondays, their lone day off.
Garcia is charged under drunk driving laws that prosecutors have worked to toughen in recent years.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
local news, marcus solis
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
23 min ago