Cop taped beating man denies wrongdoing
PASSAIC (WABC) -- A northern New Jersey police officer shown on a videotape beating an unarmed man has denied wrongdoing.
Passaic Police Officer Joseph Rios III said at a news conference Wednesday that he stands by his actions.
Rios is shown on the video throwing Ronnie Holloway against the hood of his police car and flinging the 49-year-old to the ground.
Rios and fellow officer Erica Rivera have been suspended.
A few hundred people met with Mayor Alex Blanco Tuesday night and demanded that Rios be prosecuted.
The incident is under investigation by the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office.
Anthony Iacullo, an attorney representing Rios, says unpublished parts of the video show Holloway threatening Rios.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
REPORT A TYPO || GET WIDGET
VIDEO: Eyewitness News || VIDEO: ABC News || VIEWER PHOTOS & VIDEOS ||
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 46 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 51 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 32 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32