Building crack forces evacuations
NOLITA (WABC) -- Up until Wednesday night, the big excitement on this block was the shoot for the new Robert Pattinson movie.
But the spotlight shifted, for a few hours, to a dramatic crack between two buildings that has some residents worried.
The crack between 273 and 275 Mott Street starts near the roof and shoots down more than 20 feet. It's a few inches wide already, and city officials want to know if all the rain is forcing the split even wider.
A complaint prompted firefighters to evacuate residents of 16 apartments in the two walk-up buildings for more than three hours. Megan O'Toole only moved in last month.
"I wish someone had told me about that when I moved in," she said.
A Sushi restaurant and clothing store were also evacuated during what should have been the busiest and most profitable part of the day.
"I wish I had the store open for the last two hours so we could be making money and not sitting out here," manager Anne Barker said.
Some residents were relieved that building inspectors were taking a closer look. Last weekend, an apartment building in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn collapsed due to unknown causes.
Back on Mott Street, inspectors are giving the building a clean bill of health. The crack has been here on the facade for years and sensors are already installed to monitor whether it's widening. Just after nine, everyone was allowed back inside.
"I'm a little worried. I don't know what they did to fix it, but if they said it's ok then I'm going to go in," Krista Reischel said.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
local news, jen maxfield
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos