Teen killed, man wounded in NJ shooting
NEWARK -- A Newark teenager was shot to death and a man was wounded when shots rang out on a city street Saturday afternoon.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the incident at West Kinney Street and MLK Boulevard, which occurred at about 5:45 p.m.
Detective Todd McClendon, a Newark police spokesman, said the 17-year-old boy, whose name was not released, was shot multiple times in the torso. He was taken to University Hospital in Newark, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The man, whose name and age were not disclosed, was shot in the leg. His wound was not considered life-threatening.
Newark police and the Essex County Prosecutor's Office were investigating.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
REPORT A TYPO || GET WIDGET
VIDEO: Eyewitness News || VIDEO: ABC News || VIEWER PHOTOS & VIDEOS ||
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 58 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 41 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 54 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas