Suspects sought in attack on worker
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- When the victim pulled up to work at 6:35 a.m June 18th, the culprits were already lying in wait.
The shooting happened at at 30 Minute Oil Change on Broadway on June 18.
To this day, police question if the victim or the business was specifically targeted, or if it was a crime of opportunity.
"There's nothing on the background of the victim or the suspects that indicate it was an ambush or set up," Lieutenant Michael Kelly of Jersey City Police said.
The crime is disturbing to watch. As soon as the victim opens the van's door, the two suspects, one with a shotgun, jump him.
Security cameras on the building and across the street captured glimpses of the 90-second struggle.
Two shots were fired, hitting the victim in the arm and in the torso. The van lurched forward.
The suspects dashed off. They ran to a red car that zooms past the 43-year old father of two, rolling and bleeding in the street.
"A very good man, a good friend. More than a friend, like family," said the manager of 30 Minute Oil Change. He was reluctant to show his face or give his name for fear of retaliation.
His friend and worker awoke from a coma on Thursday. He is finally breathing on his own.
"He's strong. He's like the backbone of this place," he said.
Police want people to take a close look at the video. Pay particular attention to the car -- a burgundy 4-door Ford Focus ZX-4. The license plate unknown.
Also worth noting is the suspects' clothing. There's a large white bird on the back of one suspect's jacket. The second suspect was wearing a brown warm up suit with bold white stripes down the sides.
Police want to hear from any witnesses, and there may have been a few. As the victim lays in the street, bleeding heavily, car after car and truck, even a school bus, swerve to miss him and just keep going.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
REPORT A TYPO || GET WIDGET
VIDEO: Eyewitness News || VIDEO: ABC News || VIEWER PHOTOS & VIDEOS ||
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach 37 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 56 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
23 min ago