Woman in coma after hit and run
MANHATTAN (WABC) -- Police are searching for a suspect involved in a hit and run in Hamilton Heights in which a woman was hit while crossing the street after leaving a restaurant.
The woman, identified as Debbie Evans, was struck at 145th Street and Amsterdam Avenue early Monday morning. Witnesses say the driver fled the scene without even slowing down.
According to one witness, Evans never had a chance to get out of the way of the car, which was moving rapidly on Amsterdam Avenue. The impact was so powerful, it sent the Evans flying 15 feet in the air.
Friends and neighbors say Evans is devoted mother who is well-known in the area. Evans' mother, Ethel Carter, says her daughter is in a coma, and she hopes for the chance her daughter will wake up.
The car involved in the accident is described as a gray or silver SUV, and the mirror may be missing. Anyone with information is asked to call police immediately.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb? 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 3 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor 16 min ago
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos