More gunfire involving Jersey City cops
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Jersey City police traded gunfire with robbery suspects during a wild chase through city streets Tuesday morning -- the second police gunbattle in less than a week.
Eyewitness News is told seven police officers suffered bumps and bruises while pursuing the suspects in the 3 a.m. chase, which ended in a crash at Communipaw Avenue and Crescent Street.
The pursuit apparently started when a Jersey City officer in an unmarked patrol car spotted three robbery suspects in a car and gave chase.
The suspects, not knowing the area, pulled into the parking lot of the Sandbar restaurant.
Trapped, a suspect reportedly jumped out of the car and fired four shots at the police officer. The police officer returned fire. No one was hit.
Police say the suspects got away by ramming into the police car and speeding off. The pursuit continued, during which the suspects fired five more shots at officers, who returned fire.
The suspects again rammed into police cars in a crash that ended the pursuit.
The three suspects were taken into custody, and charges against them are pending. Two handguns were also recovered.
The crash temporarily closed busy Communipaw Avenue for the morning commute.
It was the second police involved shootout in the city in less than a week. Last Thursday, five police officers were shot and two suspects killed in another gunbattle.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Missing plane may have turned back 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 30 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 3 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
54 min ago