Man critical after suicide standoff in NJ
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police say a boyfriend shot by a suicidal corrections officer remains in critical condition -- and may be the only person who can tell them what lead to the deadly dispute.
The incident unfolded just before 4 p.m. Monday at 19 Huntington Terrace.
[GET EYEWITNESS NEWS DELIVERED: Click here to sign up]
According to police, Kelley McKenith, a 39-year-old off-duty Essex County Correction Officer, shot her boyfriend twice.
Lewis Goosby, 28, escaped by jumping out a window. He was shot once in the leg and once in the ear.
Police said McKenith then barricaded herself in the home with her 4-month-old baby boy, Kaire McKenith. At some point, she shot the infant in the chest and then turned the gun on herself.
Both were taken to University Hospital where they died a short time later.
Goosby is still listed in critical condition at the same hospital.
Investigators are trying to determine what led to the deadly violence.
MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 4 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 4 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 5 min ago
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 53 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
53 min ago
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos