Newark woman opens kitchen to homeless
NEWARK (WABC) -- There are all sorts of ways to help the hungry and those in need and for one woman in Newark, she's opening up her kitchen.
Beginning Saturday morning at 10 a.m., she'll feed hundreds of people some good, home cooked meals.
Crippling arthritis in both legs won't stop Kattie Jordan from cooking the hundreds of hot dogs and hamburgers packed in her freezer, and slicing up several pounds of cake.
All of it to feed 300 or so neighbors, strangers, or anyone else who shows up at her door on Saturday.
"This is the story we're trying to tell: if everyone will feed someone else, no one would have to eat out of the garbage can," says Jordan.
Everyone in the neighborhood has known for years, Miss Kattie will feed you if you cannot feed yourself. She's past this spirit of giving on to the young ones in her family.
"I think it's wonderful what she does...I'm so proud of her," says her daughter Latasha Veliz.
Miss Kattie's team of young people canvassed the neighborhood, passed out and posted 250 flyers inviting people to come and get a meal.
Her inspiration to do this came from her parents.
People have donated money, stores have given food, Miss Kattie gives her all.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
REPORT A TYPO || GET WIDGET
VIDEO: Eyewitness News || VIDEO: ABC News || VIEWER PHOTOS & VIDEOS ||
local news, toni yates
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos