Bed bug invasion in NJ senior complex
MORRISTOWN (WABC) -- A bed bug invasion had some New Jersey residents worrying they were going to be forced out of their homes. The bed bugs were found at 31 Early Street in Morristown in a building dedicated to seniors.
But as it turns out, only one resident may be forced to leave.
"To think that someone would threaten to shut down this building and put a group of seniors at risk, it's ludicrous," tenant Julia Kersey said.
She and several other tenants were hot over rumors the 100-unit senior citizens building was being evacuated because of bed bugs. The Morristown Housing Authority says that was never a plan.
"There is no truth to this story, and I'm very upset because...our residents are all gathered out here, and they're scared," Vera White said.
"We have one tenant in this building who has a serious infestation of bed bugs in her unit," Marion Salley said.
They blame the rumor on the tenant in 1H, Barbara White, whose apartment the Housing Authority says is the source of the bed bugs.
"We went to exterminate her unit yesterday, and she would not allow entry," Salley said.
Outgoing Morristown Mayor Donald Cresitello knows White and, this afternoon, took issue with the blame game.
"We have other people suffering in the building," he said. "I don't like the comments being made that this particular person may have carried them from another unit."
White says she has no bed bugs and refuses to let them spray her apartment because of her medical problems. But in the middle of agreeing to disagree on the cause, the solution may cost White her unit.
Salley says she can't abate the problem in the building and that the Housing Authority will be forced to pursue legal action.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King
local news, toni yates
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 52 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 45 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act