EXCLUSIVE: Bieber serenades contest winner
GARDEN CITY, NY (WABC) -- A day after his appearance produced mayhem at a mall, teen singing sensation Justin Bieber was serenading some young ladies on Long Island.
He paid a house call to a lucky radio station contest winner and two dozen of her closest friends in East Meadow. Eyewitness News' Marcus Solis was the only television reporter there.
Bieber is the newest heartthrob among the pre-teen set. There was excitement and swooning on Saturday and police presence at the home, but it was a much different story on Friday.
Thousands of girls showed up at Roosevelt Field Mall hoping for a chance to see the teen singing sensation.
After pushing and shoving and what some described as chaos, organizers canceled the event.
An estimated three thousand pre-teen girls and their parents had camped out at the mall since 7:00 a.m. for the appearance by the 15-year-old Bieber. He was going to do a CD signing and performance.
At some point, investigators said the crowd surged toward the location, and aggressive pushing and shoving caused a need for police.
"We saw people getting pushed, moms and dads," one girl said. "We saw 10-year-old girls standing outside by themselves (after getting separated from their parents)."
"One mom broke her arm," said another girl.
NCPD Police units and several Garden City Police units were called to the scene. They cancelled the event and dispersed the crowd.
Jayme Reissman and Driana Eunne told Eyewitness News that the crowd wasn't listening to the police, and fights then broke out. They said at least one girl was tasered and removed by police.
Four to five injuries were reported.
Bieber himself posted on his Twitter that one person among his crew was arrested.
In fact, police made one arrest - James A. Roppo, 44, of Hoboken. He is a senior vice president with Island Def Jam Records.
Nassau Police say Roppo was arrested because he was not helping them disperse the crowd. Police said they asked him numerous times to go online to tell people that the event had been cancelled and to leave. A lot of people in the crowd were using Twitter, so police wanted him to go on there and make the announcement. He refused, so he was arrested, officials said. Eventually Island Def Jam let people know the event was off through Bieber's Twitter page.
On Saturday Roppo was arraigned. The 44-year old is charged with assault as a result of the pushing and shoving as well as endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangerment.
ON THE NET:
long island, garden city, roosevelt field mall, justin bieber, local news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 7 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 51 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
3 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
51 min ago