Boy, 13, spends 11 days alone on the subway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- For 11 long days, 13 year old Francisco Hernandez Junior criss-crossed four boroughs.
All he had was his Metro Card, a backpack, and 10 bucks.
Why didn't he just go home?
"I was nervous. I was worried I was going to get into so much trouble," Francisco said.
You see Francisco got into trouble at school.
He was worried about getting into even bigger trouble at home with his parents.
So instead of heading to his bay 25th Street home, he walked to the nearby Bay Parkway Station, hopped on the D train, and took the battery out of his cell phone.
His mother, Marisela Garcia, said that she pictured the most horrible things happening to her son.
Francisco has Asperger's Syndrome, making him more vulnerable alone on the street.
It's a form of autism that causes problems with social interaction.
Yet the teenager survived on food and water from subway newsstands and he used public restrooms.
Francisco says he rode the D, F, and 1 trains. He says he would get on find a seat and sometimes fall asleep. He would ride each train until the end of the line. Then he would get off and look for another random train. He did that for more than a week.
Police interviewed school officials and classmates, along with his parents they canvassed neighborhoods and passed out fliers.
Then on October 26, a transit police officer found Francisco in a Coney Island subway station.
His mother says he was dirty and thin.
She says her son ran away once before for 5 hours.
She says she's considering a smaller school for children with learning disorders.
She prays with help this nightmare won't ever happen again.
new york city, brooklyn, bensonhurst, new york city transit, asperger's syndrome, autism, local news, carolina leid
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 57 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 26 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
26 min ago