Girl hit by stray bullet is recovering
BRONX (WABC) -- In a remarkable development, the 15-year-old struck in the head by a stray bullet is improving.
Hospital spokeswoman Renelda Walker says Vada Vasquez recognizes family members now.
She is still in the ICU, but the hospital has upgraded her condition to stable.
Vasquez was struck last week in the Morrisania section of the Bronx as she walked home from school.
Five reputed gang members have been arrested and remain in Rikers Island.
Authorities said the target was Tyrone Crighton, 19, in retaliation for a jailhouse beating.
Creighton was hit twice, but he is already out of the hospital.
vada vasquez, bronx, crime, morrisania, local news
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 17 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
13 min ago