Girl hit by stray bullet is recovering
BRONX (WABC) -- In a remarkable development, the 15-year-old struck in the head by a stray bullet is improving.
Hospital spokeswoman Renelda Walker says Vada Vasquez recognizes family members now.
She is still in the ICU, but the hospital has upgraded her condition to stable.
Vasquez was struck last week in the Morrisania section of the Bronx as she walked home from school.
Five reputed gang members have been arrested and remain in Rikers Island.
Authorities said the target was Tyrone Crighton, 19, in retaliation for a jailhouse beating.
Creighton was hit twice, but he is already out of the hospital.
vada vasquez, bronx, crime, morrisania, local news
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey 27 min ago
- Paterson fire guts 3 buildings, displaces families 54 min ago
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 48 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners recalled
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 45 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos