Police report progress in deadly hit and run
MILLER PLACE, New York (WABC) -- Police have found the car they believe was involved in a hit and run on Long Island that killed an 11 year old girl.
They were questioning the owner, but no one has been arrested.
Courtney Sipes was mowed down by a hit and run driver in Smithtown.
The accident happened just after dark Tuesday night. Courtney and her mom were crossing busy Main Street, heading for a music store where her brother was taking a lesson.
Police say Courtney's mother watched in horror as the car hit her daughter. The impact was so intense that her body landed several dozen feet away under another car.
Business owners here say you risk your life whenever you cross Main Street.
As I tried to cross the street, just a few seconds into the trip and only halfway across the street, the light was already flashing red.
"You can wait and wait and wait for the light to change, and when it does change you got like 30 seconds to cross the street," one resident told us.
In fact business owners say they've complained for years after numerous accidents, but this may be the worst.
The death of the young girl, who played the trumpet and served on the student council at her school, has shaken this community. She recently moved with her family from out of state, but she had already made an impression.
"She came around selling stuff for school. Very nice little girl," Allison Sabia said.
"You hit someone you should stop and offer comfort," said Spiros Littos. "That person, on a holiday like this, I hope he rots in hell."
There was a second hit and run hours later in Miller Place. The victim was found along the road. He remained in Stony Brook Hospital on Wednesday night. No further information was immediately available in that case.
long island, smithtown, hit and run accident, local news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 50 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 47 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment 20 min ago
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
50 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos