Boy, 15, killed in Smithtown accident
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- A 15-year-old boy was struck and killed while riding his bicycle in Smithtown on Wednesday afternoon.
Suffolk County Police say Alex Helkin, 25, was driving his 1999 Mazda on Route 347 at Terry Road in Smithtown when he hit the bicyclist.
Nicolas Svercel, 15, was riding northbound across the road.
According to witnesses, Helkin of Farmingdale had a green light as he drove westbound on Route 347 when Svercel started crossing the road.
Svercel had been riding with three other teenagers and he may have believed the light changed, allowing him to cross the roadway.
Svercel was pronounced dead at the scene by a physician assistant from the Office of the Suffolk County Medical Examiner.
The Mazda was impounded for a safety check, and the investigation is continuing.
long island, suffolk county, smithtown, accident, local news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 32 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 33 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014