Boy, 15, killed in Smithtown accident
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- A 15-year-old boy was struck and killed while riding his bicycle in Smithtown on Wednesday afternoon.
Suffolk County Police say Alex Helkin, 25, was driving his 1999 Mazda on Route 347 at Terry Road in Smithtown when he hit the bicyclist.
Nicolas Svercel, 15, was riding northbound across the road.
According to witnesses, Helkin of Farmingdale had a green light as he drove westbound on Route 347 when Svercel started crossing the road.
Svercel had been riding with three other teenagers and he may have believed the light changed, allowing him to cross the roadway.
Svercel was pronounced dead at the scene by a physician assistant from the Office of the Suffolk County Medical Examiner.
The Mazda was impounded for a safety check, and the investigation is continuing.
long island, suffolk county, smithtown, accident, local news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park