Boy, 15, killed in Smithtown accident
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- A 15-year-old boy was struck and killed while riding his bicycle in Smithtown on Wednesday afternoon.
Suffolk County Police say Alex Helkin, 25, was driving his 1999 Mazda on Route 347 at Terry Road in Smithtown when he hit the bicyclist.
Nicolas Svercel, 15, was riding northbound across the road.
According to witnesses, Helkin of Farmingdale had a green light as he drove westbound on Route 347 when Svercel started crossing the road.
Svercel had been riding with three other teenagers and he may have believed the light changed, allowing him to cross the roadway.
Svercel was pronounced dead at the scene by a physician assistant from the Office of the Suffolk County Medical Examiner.
The Mazda was impounded for a safety check, and the investigation is continuing.
long island, suffolk county, smithtown, accident, local news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn 14 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 7 min ago
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos