Arrest made in Long Island hit and run
SMITHTOWN, New York -- A woman has been arrested on a hit and run charge in the death of an 11-year-old Long Island girl.
Fifth grader Courtney Sipes was killed Tuesday night while crossing a street in Smithtown.
Suffolk County Det. Sgt. John Twiname said investigators tracked down a vehicle that had damage consistent with the crash. Then friends and family persuaded the suspect to turn herself in on Wednesday night.
Maureen Lambert was held on $250,000 bail following her arraignment Thursday on a charge of leaving the scene of a fatal accident. Police said did not yet have a lawyer.
Investigators asked anyone who could verify where Lambert was before the crash to call 631-854-8452.
long island, smithtown, hit and run accident, local news
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn. 24 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Parts of Saw Mill Parkway remain closed due...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos