Wal-Mart hopes added security protects shoppers
VALLEY STREAM (WABC) -- It was a Black Friday with a dark cloud. A year ago Friday, a security guard was trampled to death at a Wal-Mart on Long Island after bargain hunters stormed the doors when they opened.
Under orders from prosecutors, that Wal-Mart has changed its procedures and beefed up security. But will it work?
Like most shoppers, Janet Stephens is well aware of the Black Friday stampede that broke out last year in Valley Stream. A frenzy to get to those doorbuster sales claimed the life of part-time security guard Jamitri Damour.
"I'm not risking my life for a 32-inch TV," Stephens said.
Indeed, many shoppers decide to forgo savings for a peaceful quiet experience.
"I heard the savings aren't much different," she said. "So I'm going to buy online. This way I can spend time with my family."
There was a police presence in the parking lot Thursday and security guards manning the door.
Wal-Mart has implemented a host of safety measures. They're open round-the-clock this year and have staff dedicated to crowd control. But some feel they should get rid of the doorbuster sales altogether.
The big crowds will arrive Friday morning, and that will be the real test. The barricades are already up for the media. And Wal-Mart insist they're ready.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King
long island, black friday, holiday shopping, wal-mart, local news, lauren defranco
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 6 min ago
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 3 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos