Strong gusts cause problems on Long Island
NORTHPORT, NY (WABC) -- Gusty winds caused some problems on Long Island on Saturday.
Trees were knocked down across parts of Suffolk County.
Crews had to close Sandy Hollow Road in Northport because a tree fell across the roadway.
The gusty winds also knocked down power lines in the area.
At one point during the afternoon, LIPA reported more than 12-hundred outages in Suffolk County.
Upstate, strong winds postponed Santa's arrival at an Albany-area Christmas tree farm.
Wind gusts reached about 50 mph in the Albany area and spurred Ellms Family Farm to call off Santa's parachute plunge Saturday afternoon.
The National Weather Service says it measured a 47 mph wind gust at its Albany office early Saturday, and a 53 mph gust was charted at Albany International Airport.
Winds weakened gradually during the day.
Santa is now tentatively set to drop in Sunday at the Ellms farm. It's in Ballston Spa, about 30 miles north of Albany.
long island, suffolk county, wind damage, power outage, local news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 6 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 40 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 53 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 30 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 1 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 45 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 19 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos