Holiday travel smooth at NYC airports
New York (WABC) -- There were heavy delays on NJ roadways Sunday, but it was a different story up in the air.
In years past, holiday travel seemed to be a nightmare.
This year, it was a completely different story.
Most departures at NYC area airports appeared to be on time, some arrivals were even early.
Many travelers at LaGuardia Airport said this year's air travel was a breeze.
Industry experts provided two explanations for the easy travel this holiday weekend.
First, they say fewer people flew.
Second, many of those who did fly, avoided peak travel days and times in an effort to get cheaper tickets.
By doing so, Wednesday and Sunday which are usually the worst travel days of the year, were actually pretty good.
The good weather also helped keep flights on time.
However, many traveling through NJ had trouble on congested roadways.
new york city, holiday travel, local news, lucy yang
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos