Holiday travel smooth at NYC airports
New York (WABC) -- There were heavy delays on NJ roadways Sunday, but it was a different story up in the air.
In years past, holiday travel seemed to be a nightmare.
This year, it was a completely different story.
Most departures at NYC area airports appeared to be on time, some arrivals were even early.
Many travelers at LaGuardia Airport said this year's air travel was a breeze.
Industry experts provided two explanations for the easy travel this holiday weekend.
First, they say fewer people flew.
Second, many of those who did fly, avoided peak travel days and times in an effort to get cheaper tickets.
By doing so, Wednesday and Sunday which are usually the worst travel days of the year, were actually pretty good.
The good weather also helped keep flights on time.
However, many traveling through NJ had trouble on congested roadways.
new york city, holiday travel, local news, lucy yang
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos