Deli owner gunned down during robbery attempt
UNION, N.J. (WABC) -- An attempted robbery ended in murder with a deli owner shot and his killer still at large.
Police said the armed robber entered the Three Stooges Deli at 2122 Springfield Avenue around 3:00 Monday afternoon.
The owner, 41-year-old Mohinder Singh, was killed.
Investigators said there was evidence of quite a struggle and that Singh managed to injure the bandit, who left a trail of blood as he fled from the scene.
A weapon has been recovered, but police have not said what type of weapon.
Relatives told Eyewitness News that Singh worked day and night at the deli to send money to his wife and three children back in India.
Area residents described Singh as a friendly man who was well-known by customers and had a smile for everybody. He owned the deli for several years.
Police said the store does not have a surveillance system. There were apparently no eyewitnesses.
Investigators are urging anyone with information to call 908-654-TIPS.
new jersey, union, crime, murder, local news, lucy yang
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 37 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation 41 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit 3 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
37 min ago