Deli owner gunned down during robbery attempt
UNION, N.J. (WABC) -- An attempted robbery ended in murder with a deli owner shot and his killer still at large.
Police said the armed robber entered the Three Stooges Deli at 2122 Springfield Avenue around 3:00 Monday afternoon.
The owner, 41-year-old Mohinder Singh, was killed.
Investigators said there was evidence of quite a struggle and that Singh managed to injure the bandit, who left a trail of blood as he fled from the scene.
A weapon has been recovered, but police have not said what type of weapon.
Relatives told Eyewitness News that Singh worked day and night at the deli to send money to his wife and three children back in India.
Area residents described Singh as a friendly man who was well-known by customers and had a smile for everybody. He owned the deli for several years.
Police said the store does not have a surveillance system. There were apparently no eyewitnesses.
Investigators are urging anyone with information to call 908-654-TIPS.
new jersey, union, crime, murder, local news, lucy yang
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos