Deli owner gunned down during robbery attempt
UNION, N.J. (WABC) -- An attempted robbery ended in murder with a deli owner shot and his killer still at large.
Police said the armed robber entered the Three Stooges Deli at 2122 Springfield Avenue around 3:00 Monday afternoon.
The owner, 41-year-old Mohinder Singh, was killed.
Investigators said there was evidence of quite a struggle and that Singh managed to injure the bandit, who left a trail of blood as he fled from the scene.
A weapon has been recovered, but police have not said what type of weapon.
Relatives told Eyewitness News that Singh worked day and night at the deli to send money to his wife and three children back in India.
Area residents described Singh as a friendly man who was well-known by customers and had a smile for everybody. He owned the deli for several years.
Police said the store does not have a surveillance system. There were apparently no eyewitnesses.
Investigators are urging anyone with information to call 908-654-TIPS.
new jersey, union, crime, murder, local news, lucy yang
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Tipping dispute leads to assault outside LI nightclub 13 min ago
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder 51 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey 39 min ago
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner 41 min ago
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers