Deadly fire investigated as an arson
HAUPPAUGE (WABC) -- Arson investigators are probing a deadly fire on Long Island.
The fire broke out just before 2:00 Monday afternoon at a house on Townline Road in Hauppauge.
When the smoke and flames cleared, police found a young woman dead inside.
It's not known yet whether the woman died from the fire or if the fire was intentionally set.
Police would only say the woman was 26 years old and lived at the house with three other family members.
Police did not say what caused the fire. The Suffolk County Medical Examiner is conducting an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
The victim's name is being withheld pending positive identification.
long island, hauppauge, deadly fire, local news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 3 min ago
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC 17 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million