Deer swims across the Hudson
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A deer took a dive into the Hudson River and swam to Governors Island before NYPD Harbor Patrol finally caught up with it.
Witnesses had reported the 10-point buck roaming the streets in the Exchange Place area of Jersey City just before lunchtime, officials said.
The deer eventually jumped into the water near Third Street, witnesses said.
The deer then swam across the Hudson River to Governors Island.
The animal ran along the rocks on shore for some time before police caught up to it.
Officers from the elite Emergency Services Unit fired a tranquilizer dart at the large deer at about 1:30 p.m.
Police say the sedated deer will be taken to a wildlife park on Staten Island.
ON THE NET:
breaking news, hudson river, animals, local news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 23 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC 25 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
23 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat...
25 min ago