Deer swims across the Hudson
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A deer took a dive into the Hudson River and swam to Governors Island before NYPD Harbor Patrol finally caught up with it.
Witnesses had reported the 10-point buck roaming the streets in the Exchange Place area of Jersey City just before lunchtime, officials said.
The deer eventually jumped into the water near Third Street, witnesses said.
The deer then swam across the Hudson River to Governors Island.
The animal ran along the rocks on shore for some time before police caught up to it.
Officers from the elite Emergency Services Unit fired a tranquilizer dart at the large deer at about 1:30 p.m.
Police say the sedated deer will be taken to a wildlife park on Staten Island.
ON THE NET:
breaking news, hudson river, animals, local news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations 59 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago 50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos