Deer swims across the Hudson
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A deer took a dive into the Hudson River and swam to Governors Island before NYPD Harbor Patrol finally caught up with it.
Witnesses had reported the 10-point buck roaming the streets in the Exchange Place area of Jersey City just before lunchtime, officials said.
The deer eventually jumped into the water near Third Street, witnesses said.
The deer then swam across the Hudson River to Governors Island.
The animal ran along the rocks on shore for some time before police caught up to it.
Officers from the elite Emergency Services Unit fired a tranquilizer dart at the large deer at about 1:30 p.m.
Police say the sedated deer will be taken to a wildlife park on Staten Island.
ON THE NET:
breaking news, hudson river, animals, local news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 50 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos