Deer swims across the Hudson
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A deer took a dive into the Hudson River and swam to Governors Island before NYPD Harbor Patrol finally caught up with it.
Witnesses had reported the 10-point buck roaming the streets in the Exchange Place area of Jersey City just before lunchtime, officials said.
The deer eventually jumped into the water near Third Street, witnesses said.
The deer then swam across the Hudson River to Governors Island.
The animal ran along the rocks on shore for some time before police caught up to it.
Officers from the elite Emergency Services Unit fired a tranquilizer dart at the large deer at about 1:30 p.m.
Police say the sedated deer will be taken to a wildlife park on Staten Island.
ON THE NET:
breaking news, hudson river, animals, local news
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window 19 min ago
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea 50 min ago
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria 41 min ago
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter 21 min ago
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines 52 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos