Search continues for missing mom from Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- Police are searching for a mother who disappeared in Queens one week ago.
Jamaica Vereen Smith was last seen dropping her daughter off her at the Laurelton School.
She was supposed to meet her sister at a home they were renovating just four blocks away.
She never made it.
Smith is said to be a busy woman.
Even while juggling a hectic schedule of renovating a new home and working as a hair stylist, she leaves her St. Albans home early every morning to catch two buses to drop off her 6-year-old daughter.
"She's an excellent mother. She's not careless at all. We know it's foul play because she would never leave her daughter," said Monique Vereen, Smith's niece.
Police say the 36-year-old mother disappeared the day before Thanksgiving.
Family members say Smith missed an appointment with a carpet installer that morning, but when she didn't pick up her daughter from school they knew it was something serious.
Smith's 14 brothers and sisters and her countless nieces, nephews and cousins are putting up and passing out fliers.
Her sister Sonia says Jamaica recently complained about a mysterious man who she said harassed her outside her daughter's school.
"He would be there every morning and every afternoon. I'll call him a stalker. He was her stalker," said Sonia.
Now all they can do is wait and spread the word.
Jamaica Smith is 5'9, about 160 pounds. She was last seen wearing a blue jacket, gray sweater, blue jeans and black and white rain boots.
Anyone with information the city's call Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS. (8477)
new york city, nypd, queens, st. albans, local news, carolina leid
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Connecticut, NTSB officials to tour train crash site
- Man fatally shot in head in West Village 50 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Cops investigating after Hofstra student killed 34 min ago
- Body found in woods ID'd as missing student Alyssiah Wiley 28 min ago
- Stunning video catches Oregon pot robbery 35 min ago
- Video: Aimee Copeland gets prosthetic hands
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony 4 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut 57 min ago
- Stunning video catches Oregon pot robbery
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos