Jasmina finally meets with President Obama
WASHINGTON (WABC) -- Six-year-old Jasmina Anema finally visited with President Barack Obama Wednesday after her earlier visit was postponed.
The cancer-stricken girl had been hospitalized in Washington for an apparent seizure.
Jasmina, who is from Grenwich Village, was taken by her mother to Children's Hospital in Washington hours before she was to meet with President Obama last Wednesday. She was also to attend the ceremonial pardoning of the first turkey.
Jasmina received her leukemia diagnosis back on January 20, 2009, the same day that Obama was inaugurated.
The Make-a-Wish Foundation set up the meeting with the president.
On Wednesday, she spent 10 magical minutes with him. He presented her with a box of M&Ms, emblazoned with the presidential seal and his name, as well as a presidential yo-yo.
"It was like they were really best buddies," Jasmina's mom, Thea Anema, told the New York Daily News. "It was just how he spoke to her, like a daddy. It was so sweet. He was really relating to her."
new york city, jasmina anema, barack obama, leukemia, local news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 49 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 6 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos