Jasmina finally meets with President Obama
WASHINGTON (WABC) -- Six-year-old Jasmina Anema finally visited with President Barack Obama Wednesday after her earlier visit was postponed.
The cancer-stricken girl had been hospitalized in Washington for an apparent seizure.
Jasmina, who is from Grenwich Village, was taken by her mother to Children's Hospital in Washington hours before she was to meet with President Obama last Wednesday. She was also to attend the ceremonial pardoning of the first turkey.
Jasmina received her leukemia diagnosis back on January 20, 2009, the same day that Obama was inaugurated.
The Make-a-Wish Foundation set up the meeting with the president.
On Wednesday, she spent 10 magical minutes with him. He presented her with a box of M&Ms, emblazoned with the presidential seal and his name, as well as a presidential yo-yo.
"It was like they were really best buddies," Jasmina's mom, Thea Anema, told the New York Daily News. "It was just how he spoke to her, like a daddy. It was so sweet. He was really relating to her."
new york city, jasmina anema, barack obama, leukemia, local news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up 59 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Orb trainer fights nerves at Preakness
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at...
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos