Long Island menorah vandals caught on tape
HOLBROOK (WABC) -- Police say an 11-foot aluminum menorah was damaged after a group of vandals wrestled and twisted it to the ground in front of a Long Island drug store.
Vandals wrestled and twisted it to the ground in front of the "Friendly Drug Store" on Main Street in Holbrook.
The owner of the store is also the president of the Holbrook Chamber of Commerce.
Suffolk County police say its hate crimes unit is trying to identify three youths who were videotaped attacking the candelabrum.
A surveillance camera recorded the vandals attacking the menorah about 11:48 p.m. on Friday.
The Suffolk County Police Department apparently installed video cameras in the area due to past incidents. About a dozen cameras around the county are pointed at menorahs.
The candelabrums are lit during the eight-day Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.
If you have any information on the crime, you are asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island, holiday season, crime, caught on tape, local news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 10 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 43 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 13 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
43 min ago