Third arrest in Long Island jewelry store heist
VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC) -- Three people are under arrest and a fourth person is being sought after a robbery and gun battle at a jewelry store in Valley Stream.
"I sensed something was amiss, and as soon as he produced a weapon, I produced mine and started shooting," store owner Andrew Papandrew said.
An armed robbery suspect was caught on tape as he jumped over the jewelry display counter on Wednesday night.
The store owner, who is out of frame on the video, begins shooting and the gunman runs away.
Papandrew says it all happened in the blink of eye. He was shot in the side and staring down the barrel of a gun. He didn't hesitate to return fire.
"I knew I'd been shot. I wasn't falling down. I wasn't having breathing problems, and I just continued to blast away at the guy," he said.
The owner of Papandrew Jewelers says it all started when a couple entered his store after closing looking to buy an engagement ring. Soon after they entered, a third man busted in and pulled out a gun.
Papandrew was robbed once before, so he was prepared.
"I had six years to think about what my reaction was going to be and I knew that I didn't want to be a victim again," Papandrew said.
When it was all over, Papandrew held one of the robbers until cops arrived.
Police arrested three people. Gloria Cortes, 20, denied the allegations, telling us she was "trying to get an engagement ring." Police also charged Bryan Kenner and Edward Hamilton.
Detectives believe the gunman could still be on the loose.
"I don't want to become the poster boy for vigilantism. I am just defending my life," Papandrew said.
The suspects are charged with attempted robbery and assault.
long island, nassau county, valley stream, robbery, local news, lauren defranco
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments